Your Money at Work
JDRF has a bold plan for the future of type 1 diabetes (T1D) research in Canada. As better treatments unfold and the prospect of curing this disease rests on the horizon, we remain ever-committed to directing more resources to launch and sustain innovative research and clinical trials from coast-to-coast. Transforming Lives: Today and Tomorrow is our solution to accelerating diabetes breakthroughs in partnership with the community we support.
Facts on JDRF Canada’s investment in T1D research
2019 was a tremendous year that drove JDRF Canada’s mission forward.
Overall, JDRF Canada is supporting 37 multi-year projects in Canada with a total grant value of approximately $38 million CDN, including CIHR co-funding. Of these projects, 30 per cent are clinical trials, and another 30 per cent are led by postdoctoral fellows – the next generation of Canadian T1D researchers.
- In 2019, thanks to the continued commitment of our supporters and partners, JDRF Canada invested $8.1 million CDN in T1D research, a 5% increase over 2018, which includes its partnership with Canada’s federal funding agency for health research, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
- JDRF Canada received $21.6M in 2019 through event fundraising, corporate support, foundation support, and generous donations from individuals across Canada.
- In 2019, JDRF Canada invested more dollars to type 1 diabetes research than any national health charity.
*Administration costs include accounting, information technology, human resources, and marketing & communications, all of which support our activities across Canada.
JDRF Canada works closely with the type 1 diabetes community to ensure their voices are heard
- JDRF’s Access For All campaign demanding affordable and accessible technology for all Canadians with T1D has so far represented over 700 letters and meetings with representatives and over 2000 petitions signed. As a result of these advocacy efforts, Quebec City and Ontario now fully cover Flash Glucose Monitors.
- More than 100 political candidates supported JDRF Canada’s #VoteTypeNone campaign in the 2019 federal election and committed to support Canadians touched by type 1 diabetes. 40 of those candidates were re-elected as MPs.
JDRF is the largest global private funder of research to cure, prevent and treat type 1 diabetes
- As the largest global private funder of research to cure, prevent and treat type 1 diabetes (T1D), no organization is more passionate, more committed and more impatient to put an end to T1D than JDRF.
- JDRF funds research in over 20 countries, directing funds to support the best research projects and investigators around the globe.
Facts on JDRF’s International investment in T1D Research
- JDRF’s investment in mission continues to increase. In FY19, JDRF spent $175 Million to accelerate cures for T1D and improve lives, including $121.5 Million advancing research.
- Dollars to research has increased 11% over 2018 ($121M vs $109M
- Dollars specifically to research grants have increased by 5% over 2018
- Our advocacy, leadership and expertise in emerging research influenced and attracted a total of $414.5M to T1D research – or nearly $300 million more than our own research support in 2019.
JDRF's research mission is to discover, develop, and deliver advances that cure, better treat, and prevent T1D. As the global leader in the fight against T1D, JDRF's research programs are comprehensive – addressing the hopes and dreams of every person with T1D for the best quality of life and a cure for this disease.