May 20, 2020
TrialNet—an international JDRF-supported network of leading academic institutions, endocrinologists, physicians, scientists and healthcare teams dedicated to finding cures for type 1 diabetes (T1D)—has a new in-home test kit that makes screening far easier and more convenient and at no cost to you!
If you have a relative with T1D, you can detect your risk of developing this disease today through the TrialNet Pathway to Prevention study. Here’s how:
- If you are eligible (the eligibility requirements are below), go to trialnet.org/participate to request a test kit
- When it arrives in the mail, collect about 10 drops of blood using a finger prick
- Place it in the collection envelope
- Call FedEx at 1-800-463-3339 to schedule a pickup, or go online to FedEx.com, where you can schedule a one-time pickup or find a drop-off location (this needs to be done within 24 hours of the blood collection)
Results are typically reported in 4-6 weeks. However, due to COVID-19, results may be delayed. If your results show you are in the early stages of T1D (defined as testing positive for T1D-related autoantibodies), there may be an opportunity to participate in a T1D prevention trial.
TrialNet screening can sometimes detect T1D years before symptoms occur. Detect your risk today.
You qualify for free screening if:
- you are between the ages of 2.5 and 45, and have a parent, brother/sister or child with T1D
- you are between the ages of 2.5 and 20 and have an aunt/uncle, cousin, grandparent, niece/nephew or half-brother/sister with T1D
- you have not been diagnosed with diabetes.
If you have questions, contact the Canadian TrialNet team at 1-866-699-1899 or e-mail [email protected].