Charitable Gift Annuity
Charitable Gift Annuity
You have savings and investments, but interest rates fluctuate and sometimes your monthly income doesn’t keep pace with rising costs. Your investments have to last your lifetime, yet you also want to give generously to your favourite charities.
With a charitable gift annuity, you can make a generous gift to JDRF Canada and improve your cash flow at the same time. An annuity is an irrevocable gift to a charity like JDRF Canada in return for which you receive a guaranteed, regular annual income for life.
Charitable gift annuities are an attractive option for:
- Donors aged 65+, with the optimum age between 70-80 years for men and 74-80 years for women
- Donors who have no dependents, are at a medium income level and who are looking for a dependable income stream with a better return than a GIC (guaranteed investment certificate) orsavings bond
- Donors who want an alternative to leaving a bequest to simplify the estate process and save probate and other estate fees in the future
To qualify as a charitable gift annuity, a minimum of 20% of the principal amount of the annuity must be a charitable gift.
Benefits of a Charitable Gift Annuity:
- A safe, guaranteed income for life, without investment management worries
- The rate of return is usually higher than the interest received on GICs or savings bonds
- Receive income that is all or mostly tax-free (depending on your age when you purchase the annuity)
- Receive a tax receipt for the difference between the total gift and the cost of the annuity
- It’s a donation that can’t be contested, because it’s not part of your estate
Types of Charitable Gift Annuities
A self-insured annuity is where the balance remaining from the original principal of the annuity is used to support JDRF Canada’s work following your death, or in the case of a joint agreement, the death of the surviving annuitant.
Reinsured Charitable Gift Annuity
A reinsured charitable gift annuity is where JDRF Canada purchases a gift plus annuity on your behalf through a life insurance company. The charitable gift portion of the annuity can be used immediately to support JDRF Canada’s work.
Income for Life
By buying a gift annuity, you can count on receiving exactly the same payments from JDRF Canada at an agreed upon frequency. The amount is guaranteed never to change.
The specific amount you’ll receive depends on your age and the size of your gift annuity.
You can decide how often you’ll receive your payments: monthly, quarterly, or semiannually. Choosing semi-annual payments gives a slightly higher rate of return and therefore an increased payment to you.
You can also choose to defer the income from your annuity until an age when it provides you with a greater tax benefit.
Once your payments begin, they will continue for as long as you live. If you are married, you may choose a joint-and-survivorship annuity that continues as long as either spouse lives.
All donors are encouraged to seek independent financial and legal counsel when executing wills, trusts, contracts and other agreements.
JDRF Canada will provide you with information and assistance to purchase a charitable gift annuity. However, the ultimate responsibility regarding evaluations, tax deductibility, and/or similar legal local, provincial or federal compliance issues rests with you and/or your counsel.
To learn more, please fill out a request for information, or contact:
National Manager, Foundations & Planned Giving
Email: [email protected]
Charitable Number: 111897 6604 RR0001